When to See a Chiropractor
It is important to listen to your body and know when it needs attention. Sometimes people wait until their health drastically deteriorates before seeking help from a health care provider. However, if more people truly listened to their body and its needs we could prevent our lives from reaching a point of extreme discomfort and poor health.
In this week’s blog we will discuss different situations for when you should see your chiropractor.
- If you are experiencing back pain frequently: Many people suffer from chronic back pain and for many different reasons. However no one should have to suffer and experience the pain that can come from your back. Visiting a chiropractor regularly can help to not only decrease your pain and discomfort, but also create a plan to help prevent further flare ups from occurring.
- If you are experiencing headaches or migraines: Headaches and migraines can be debilitating, causing individuals to spend days in agonizing pain wondering why they keep occurring. However, migraines can be caused due to improper neck alignment. If our cervical spine is misaligned, neck pain, headaches and migraines may occur due to poor positioning, improper nerve function, decreased motion and decreased blood flow. When you visit your chiropractor and get your neck adjusted you are actually helping to restore the normal motion of the cervical spine and remove the nervous interference in that area. Ask your chiropractor about what your neck curve looks like and ways to help restore it back towards normal.
- If you have a job that requires heavy lifting: There are many physical jobs out there, some jobs that can even lead to serious injury. Jobs that require heavy lifting and carrying are one of the most common causes of back pain due to improper lifting, repetitive lifting, or lifting objects that are too heavy. It is important to understand proper ergonomics when it comes to lifting as well as to know when something is too heavy to be lifting for your body.
- If you have a job that requires sitting for long periods of time: In addition to jobs that require heavy lifting, there are jobs that require long periods of sitting. Now, while these jobs sound less dangerous to the spine, that is not the case. Sitting for long periods of time puts a lot of stress on the spine and can cause some serious back and even leg pain in the long run. It is important to create some time in your day to stand up and move around in an effort to decrease the possibility of back pain developing. A good rule of thumb is for every hour seated, get up and walk around for at least 5 minutes. This rule helps to create a balance between working and maintaining your spinal health.
- If you experience rapid, sharp pains in your back or legs: Experiencing sharp pain in your back or legs is common, however, it shouldn’t be ignored. One of the most common reasons that someone may be experiencing shooting pain is due to a condition called sciatica. Sciatica happens when a spinal nerve is pinched in the lower back. This condition is one of the most common conditions treated by chiropractors. By visit your chiropractor you can inquire if the pain is due to sciatica or something else, in addition to creating a plan of care to manage the pain you are experiencing.
- If your motion or movement is limited or decreased: Our bodies are meant to move, therefore if you or someone you know is experiencing difficulty moving to your fullest potential then visiting a chiropractor may be a smart decision. Visiting a chiropractor can help to restore the normal motion of the spine and help relax any tense muscles providing them with the flexibility they need.If you have muscle soreness: Whether you are sore from a long day at work or an intense workout, a visit to you chiropractor can help with the muscle tenderness that you may have. Chiropractic adjustments can help to relax the muscles and provide them with the proper blood flow and oxygenation that they need to repair for the next day or workout. Even if you experience stiffness, an adjustment can help to relax that muscle and even increase your range of motion.
- If you overall want to live a healthy life: Most people know first hand how chiropractic care can help benefit a person physically in many ways. Not only does chiropractic care help to treat and manage any unwanted symptoms or conditions, but it keeps your body at its best. Getting frequent chiropractic adjustments helps promote a healthier lifestyle that usually includes stress management, a balanced diet, consistent exercise and restful sleep.
If you or someone you know is experiencing any of these symptoms, consider seeing a chiropractor. We are the perfect doctors to help get your health back on track.